Cleaning Browser Hijacker and Spywares
When you launch the Internet Explorer, does the URL keep going to 'about:blank' and the browser shows links or popup windows of V*iagra or p*orn site?
If you are experiencing this, your computer may have been infected with some kind of browser hijacker or adware.
General steps to fix it:
- Install free AVG antivirus to remove most worms & malware.
- Run CWSshredder to clean off eluded malware.
A) Install AVG Anti-virus
AVG anti-virus may work better than some known anti-virus softwares. At the moment, it is FREE for home use. Download is by email registration.
Steps to donwload and install:
- Go to URL http://free.avg.com/freeweb.php/lng/us/doc/2/tpl/v5
- Scroll to bottom of page & click on the link "avg70free_???????.exe" where the ??????? denotes the version number.
- Select "Save this program to disk" when prompted. The filesize is about 7Mb which takes about 7 minutes for a 56K modem to download.
- Optionally, if you need the user guide, download it from http://free.grisoft.cz/softw/70free/doc/avg_free_reference_en_70_9.pdf (PDF 924KB)
- Run the downloaded program by double-clicking the saved program from step 3.
- Follow the prompt to complete the installation.
- After restart, if any virus is detected, click "HEAL" to remove it.
B) Run CWSshredder
Run this special tool to clean Coolwebsearch or SmartSearch browser hijack.
You may download CWShredder from the following mirror sites:
- Majorgeeks.com - latest version, click a download location.
- SoftPedia.com - latest version, click on the 'Download' button on the right.
- http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/CWShredLast.exe ver 18.104.22.168
- Local copy of cwshredder.exe - ver 1.59.1, last choice if the above links are blocked. Size is 149,504 bytes.