Email Masquerade/Scam/Worm News (page 65)
Here's a blog on masquerading emails that are scams or phishing (identity theft) or are infected with worms/viruses.
In a masquerading email, the sender email shown is not the email of the actual sender (masquerade). The only way to confirm the sender email is to reply and request for a confirmation email.
This news report may help you to identify masquerading emails that are scams or phishing.
If you have received an email saying you have won millions in lottery or inheritance, do search some of their keywords here. If you can find them here, it's a SCAM !
Cleaning of Browser Hijacker: about:blank in Internet Explorer
When you launch the Internet Explorer, does the URL keep going to 'about:blank' and the browser shows links or popup windows of V*iagra or p*orn site?
If you are experiencing this, your computer may have been infected with some kind of browser hijacker or adware.
General steps to fix it:
- Install free AVG antivirus to remove most worms & malware.
- Run CWSshredder to clean off eluded malware.
A) Install AVG Anti-virus
AVG anti-virus may work better than some known anti-virus softwares. At the moment, it is FREE for home use. Download is by email registration.
Steps to donwload and install:
- Go to URL http://free.avg.com/freeweb.php/lng/us/doc/2/tpl/v5
- Scroll to bottom of page & click on the link "avg70free_???????.exe" where the ??????? denotes the version number.
- Select "Save this program to disk" when prompted. The filesize is about 7Mb which takes about 7 minutes for a 56K modem to download.
- Optionally, if you need the user guide, download it from http://free.grisoft.cz/softw/70free/doc/avg_free_reference_en_70_9.pdf (PDF 924KB)
- Run the downloaded program by double-clicking the saved program from step 3.
- Follow the prompt to complete the installation.
- After restart, if any virus is detected, click "HEAL" to remove it.
B) Run CWSshredder
Any guidelines and suggestions indicated on this website are solely the expressed views of the authors and contributors. Users who choose to follow any suggested guidelines are doing it at their own risk.